July 27, 2008

The One with the Potluck

We were pleasantly surprised when we got to church today. Being gone for two weeks keeps pertinent information from you. There was an all-church potluck following the morning service. Three cheers for that! [side note: what on earth is the origin of the term "pot. luck."? You bring a pot of something and you get lucky cause everyone else brought pots too? or what?] After a great time of fellowship in Sunday School and a good study of Philippians 1 in the service, we were all herded back to the lunch. Boy was it delicious! There were more drink options than I can remember, and the dessert tableS...don't even get me started on the dessert tableS! :) There was an amazing Italian sausage chili among other great casseroles and salads, and Kevin and I were able to get to know a couple from our Sunday School class a little better.

After a hot ride home, I decided to make use of the apartment complex pool. (I'm pretty sure I'm the only person to have been in that pool yet this summer!) I was kinda freaked out about using it and having people watch me from there windows, but the community was fairly quiet this Sunday afternoon, so I took the risk. :) I spent about a half hour cooling off and pacing the width of the pool while memorizing 3 Bible verses for church (January's - March's). It was a really good time actually. (I hate to admit that I must be a sort of a "pacer"-memorizer. It works.)

Have I told you lately that I love strawberry jam?

2 comments:

  1. I can tell that my Friends DVDs are having an impact by your blog titles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a special etymological dictionary that someone got me for a birthday, but "potluck" is not in there! :-O And it's such an important word! Especially to us Christians... ;) Etymonline.com says "potluck" comes from the idea that it is "one's luck or chance as to what may be in the pot," but that the synonym "potlatch" comes from Chinook jargon, "a gift," from Wakashan (Nootka) patshatl "giving, gift." Hm.

    But I'll bet the Italian sausage chili and the desserts were a welcome break from rice and potatoes... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com