September 2, 2011

The One with the End of HP


Oh my goodness gracious
I literally just finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--book 7 of 7 in the HP series. It was my first time. Yes, I know the books were all the rage when I was in high school. They became a part of some teacher's reading curriculum in fact. But I was against it. Partly because of the witch-craft. But mostly because I don't like to go along with the trends. I want to do something or read something or wear something or watch something on my time and not because everyone else is doing it. Me and vogue--we're not very tight. 

But these books are AMAZING. Brilliant! Fun! Riveting. Intense. Emotional. And in the end, crazy fast-paced.  I had read books 1 through 4 in the months before our move. I started in April and took my time getting through them. They were good, but I had to be in the mood to read them. 

I was a few chapters into book 5 when the packing and moving process rolled around. That meant, no more enjoyment reading for Mel. I had things to do, boxes to pack, deadlines to meet. 

But a few weeks after moving, I felt completely settled in my new home, and I visited my friend, Harry Potter once again. It took a little while to get back into it. But during VBS week (August 15-19), I became quite attached to my book. I whizzed through this 800+ page book in a few days time. I started book 6 on Sunday the 21st and a few days later was finished. 

Having read so much for so many days, I was kind over stimulated. So I started reading book 7 at a more leisurely pace. But who knew they would DIVE head first into the intensity of the plot?! Right from the get-go of this 750+ page book, there was intensity and drama. This book is the definition of a page turner. The action just doesn't stop. You wait for calm, leisurely chapters like those that filled the other six books, but reprieve never comes. 

And it's SO GOOD. In the last 2 days I've read over four hundred pages. (I know Kevin could read the entire epic novel in just a few hours, but this was quite a feat for me.) I loved every minute of this book--especially the second half. And can I just say, I am so happy an epilogue was included. I appreciate closure. 

All I can say is, "Well done, J.K. Rowling, well done!" 

Now, to the movies

---

Have you read Harry Potter? Are you a fan? 
If you've never given these books a chance, I say you need to!


2 comments:

  1. I started reading them after Book 4 was released....and then I had to wait until Book 5 came out! Torture!!

    I think they are well written, gripping, and fast paced. Great plot lines and sub plot lines!!

    Movies are good - but I like the books better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read them about a month ago and read the entire series in about two weeks. They were very good! The movies can be a little disappointing until you get to about the 4th one or so... just an FYI, but the last one is WONDERFUL!! I saw it in IMAX - theater GOLD!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com