September 8, 2011

The One with All the Apples

Since it's fall and all, I have a confession. I'm obsessed with apples. I know--the two concepts don't necessarily have anything to do with one another, but I've got apple-picking on the brain

Aside from goodness of fall apple cider, I really do have a bit of an apple addiction. Ask any who's spent any reasonable amount of time with me (particularly those who've lived with me), and they'll tell you I eat an apple almost every day. The fruit is just so darn perfect. They stay fresh for weeks. In the fridge or on the counter. There are a hundred varieties to suit my mood. They are perfect sliced and sprinkled with cinnamon. Or dipped in peanut butter (YUM!). I love them cooked in my morning oatmeal. Or baked in a perfect pie. I even love them sliced on top of a grilled cheese. (Don't knock it till you've tried it!)

To answer your question, no, I don't like Red Delicious. I really really really don't. I prefer an apple with more flavor and a skin that doesn't require major mastication. Granny Smiths have always topped my list. I'm a sour lover. Right up there would be Golden Delicious, Fuji, Pink Lady, and Gala. I love Macintosh and Jonathan, but only for baking--they bruise too easily and tend to be too grainy for my taste. Honey Crisp and Braeburn are a special treat--they're normally the most pricey variety. (Yes, I know my apples. It may have something to do with growing up near an Apple Orchard and visiting almost every fall. Man, I miss those cider donuts! And it might have something to do with having a dad who's a bit of an apple connoisseur. He taught me everything he knows.) 

Almost every day growing up I had an apple in my lunch box. And I never got tired of them. The trend has continued. I snagged an apple on my way out of the dining commons almost every day in college. If we're going on a trip (even just 3 or 4 hours away), I take at least 4 apples in the car. Just. In. Case. You know that episode of Friends where Ross steals the apples (and pine cones!) from the front desk of the super-expensive hotel he and Chandler stayed in? That would probably be me. 

And then there's the stock-piling-of-apples issue. If our fruit drawer has fewer than 5 apples, I might...well, I'm not sure what I might do. I try not to find out. I buy 5 pound bags of this fruit like we were preparing for an apocalypse AND apples were going out of style. 

Now, if you're beginning to think I'm insane.....
.....please disregard everything you've just read. 

My name is Melanie and I love apples. That's all you need to know. 


---

Can't get enough crazy? Subscribe.

1 comment:

  1. uh...

    WELCOME TO APPLE COUNTRY!

    seriously. WNY = apples.

    You, my friend, have chosen the right new locale!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com