January 3, 2011

The One with the Fitness Resolutions

Ahhh, yes. It must be the first Monday of the New Year. The parking lot of the local YMCA was packed. I am not kidding. People were making their own spots at the end of the rows and even leaving their vehicles along the grass. Holy moly. Can you say "resolutions"??

About a week ago, as I parked at the Y and headed down the sidewalk for my morning run, the thought occurred to me, "It's almost New Years. I remember last year how the parking lot was overflowing that first week. I wonder if it'll be the same way this year."  Sure enough. Bring on the spandex, the sweatbands, and the tennis shoes. People want to get their butts in shape. Feel the burn. Pump some iron. 

It's a lovely thought, really it is. And I would strongly encourage everyone to get out of their bad habits and add some activity to their lives. Exercise totally rocks my world. For real. I don't always look forward to the freezing cold temperatures or the sore muscles or the sweating. Snuggling up on the couch with a good book and a cup of hot tea often seems preferable. But when it comes time to jump in the shower, and I haven't felt the pounding pavement in my knees or wiped sweat from my brow, something just doesn't feel right. I love knowing I did something wonderful for my physical well-being. My heart is a little bit stronger, my body feels  a little leaner, my mind is awake and alert. And HEY! Feeling a little less guilty about that cookie is a total bonus! 

I look forward to a week from now, though. When I can chuckle at the half-filled parking lot as I think of all those people with good intentions who are enjoying another hour in bed. I wish them luck, certainly, and I truly wish they'd stay committed. 

But in the meantime, I consider myself part of an elite group. And I am proud.

What about YOU? Do you have any New Year's Resolutions? Or at least an inkling to feel the burn???


-------
Speaking of burns, here's my blog feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com