December 9, 2010

The One with the Little Thrills

I have to share a few tidbits of excitement! (I use the word "excitement" loosely, as I realize my causes for excitement are different than most.) This morning I headed out for my run in the nine degree temperature. Yes, nine degrees is every bit as cold as it sounds. However, I have decided I would much prefer nine degrees to twenty-three degrees with winds of 15-20 mph. A run in that weather is not going to happen. In any case, I made it to my halfway point, ready to turn around, when I decided to take a side path through a neighborhood. Having done three 4 mile runs with Ingrid while in Tennessee, I knew adding a mile wouldn't be that big of deal. As I started down the road, I thought, "Hmm, maybe I'll just take that first road and circle around. NO! Come on, Mel, you can totally make it to the end." 

And I did. I finished my run like it was no big deal. It was an enjoyable run, despite the fact that my thighs were frost-bit through my pants. After my nose stopped dripping and my eyeballs stopped tearing, I decided I should see what my mileage was, just for the heck of it. I was surprised to discover that my regular 3 mile run was in fact 3.6 miles (awesome) and the total for today's run was 4.8 miles--almost an entire mile longer than I had anticipated--and I had finished in 41 minutes. I was so stoked with an 8.7 minute/mile pace knowing I hadn't pushed myself. Yay. 

Sorry. I had to be proud for a minute. :)

The other awesome thing of today was my new Bible study with my friend, Brandy. She's actually the mom of one of our teens and we've really hit it off. She's the friend God knew I was needing. We talk so easily, we understand one another, we listen, we open up. It's great. Brandy is relatively new to the whole Jesus following thing, so she wanted a partner in reading through the Gospels. I haven't had a Bible study in years and years, and I'm so excited to spend time studying Scripture with a good friend. 

And on top of that, Brandy sold one of the items I've been secretly creating. I was so stoked! More on that after Christmas! 

2 comments:

  1. Nick says wow! He also says you would kick his butt, but you've been running longer.... he's gone out for 3 or 4 of these bitter cold runs! I think you're both Crazy! My mother in law bought her self a treadmill so she wouldn't loose all the work she did this summer.... she's not sooo crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing. running in 9 degree weather?? Ah! Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com