March 21, 2011

The One with the Marriage Mission

A few weeks back, a friend of mine shared a Relevant Magazine online article with Kevin and I saying it reminded her of our ministry and hoped it might encourage us. It did. The words of this article entitled What's the Point of Marriage echoed my deepest convictions of marriage and ministry. 

The Millers write, 
So on we went with what seemed like a recipe for marital disaster. Leading the youth group was the one thing we were doing together, yet it was extremely stressful. And we were failing at it. The group literally drove us to our knees. Before each event, we began to pray for the youth and for ourselves.

Kevin and I sort of stumbled into the youth ministry. Of course, the Lord guided our steps to this exact place, but the way we ended up here was totally unpredictable. I was the original youth pastor called to start a youth ministry at a small, growing church. Kevin helped out on Sunday nights, but he was busy with grad school and a 2 hour round trip commute to and from campus every day. He was stressed and frustrated and focused on his work. I may have also been a bit was stressed and frustrated and focused on my work. 

Our worlds didn't exactly intersect. We updated one another on our days, but there was no deep connection. We ate dinner together, then vegged out in the same room. There wasn't much more to it. 

But then Kevin felt the tug into deeper ministry. He began co-leading youth group with me. The teens loved him, he loved them, and before we knew it he was considering full time ministry. For the past two years, we've poured ourselves into these students for the sake of advancing the Kingdom of God. I've grown to love my husband in a new way. Watching him preach, plan, and love those students ignites new passion in my heart. I have a deeper respect for Kevin and a burning desire to continue ministry alongside him. 

.

Having this common goal, this shared passion has given our marriage it's purpose. I always said God had brought us together in marriage because we would be a more powerful tool united than separated, and I fully support that statement today. 

Yes, the purpose of marriage is companionship and raising up new generations. But we mustn't neglect the third component of this God-established relationship (Gen 1:28, 2:15)
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.
The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it
The new couple was given a mission to accomplish and fulfill together. Ministering together is bringing full meaning of the two becoming one. It gives purpose, unity, direction. Without a shared mission, our marriage would lack meaning.

I encourage you to pursue a shared ministry with your spouse. You will see new love, new respect, new purpose to your relationship.
If you already have a shared mission, what is yours? 

----
like what you read? subscribe

4 comments:

  1. I read that article and loved it! I shared it on my FB because it is definitely another important factor in marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of you, you look so happy and beautiful and it makes me missing having you in my everyday life... I'm jealous of Kevin!

    I keep trying to find that thing for Nick and I that we do "together"... but haven't found it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am glad you found mine via Haleys because I am digging ALL your blogs and what you and your husband do!! I also love that you love to cook and bake...ME TOO!! I am excited to read more on your blogs, also I saw that one of your favorite books is The Shack, it is on my night stand but we have been insanely busy but I am so excited to start reading it!! Hope you have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed your other comments until right now...when you want tips for natural birth FOR SURE email me...its a mind game lol just like running is!! I actually ran 2 miles today which has never happened in my life...lol I am looking at the half marathon the same as I did childbirth, NEVER in a million years did I think that I would be ABLE to do it naturally but I just kept with it and the outcome is SO AMAZING! I was scared for round 2 but it was like riding a bike...lol a painful bike but rewarding nonetheless! I am pumped like I said earlier to have found your blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com