October 8, 2010

The One with the Lunchroom Loves

I'm trying to think of topics to write on that don't have something to do with my sweet husband, my awesome teens, my times with Jesus, or food. 
Those are, afterall, my loves. 
They are (almost) all I think about. 
That either makes me:
A. a weirdo.
B. obsessive.
C. super committed.
D. all of the above. 

But I'm strangely ok with that.

Ignoring all of my inhibitions about my obsessive need to talk about my four biggest loves, 
I will share with you my experience at high school today. 
Once each week Kevin and I stop into the local high school where a majority of our teens attend and have lunch. 
Well, we don't actually have lunch. 
I could never eat in 20 minutes. 
Geeze, there has to be some rule about getting more than 20 minutes for lunch--which includes standing in massive lunch lines. 
That's just unhealthy. 
My rants aside, this morning I whipped up a batch of my awesome chocolate chip cookies and headed off to school.
We got there in a hurry of hustle and bustle and schedule changes as it's homecoming Friday. 
Whew. 

As we walked into the lunchroom crowded with 400 teenagers, we see exuberant waves coming from the other end of the cafeteria. 
There were our girls!
They ran up and hugged me. 
They were thrilled as they are each week.
That is such an amazing feeling. 
The cookies were gobbled in three seconds flat and we managed to invite a few brand new kids to our Friday night outreach event. 
They seemed stoked. 

I loved being embraced--emotionally and physically.
And hearing them say, "I love you, Mel"--even the new girls--is such a salve to my soul. 

Now, off we go to spend 8 more hours with these teenagers. 
We're crazy.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog.....gladly returning the follow! Blessings to you,
    Jill @ Sweet Diva

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is really great that you get to go into the schools like that! We have in the past but don't get to much lately :( love your 4 tops loves though. you can blog about them anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, my mind wandered after you listed your 4 top loves. It took me forever to finish reading because of how you referred to the kids in your youth group.

    I feel exactly the same way.

    My kids are on my mind all the time. In fact, I posted two blogs that referenced them the other night at work. I felt the first one just didn't do enough justice to them, so I wrote the second.

    I was starting to think I was a weirdo. Well, even more-so. But to realize that I absolutely love "my" kids felt strange to admit.

    But I do love them. I hope their parents don't freak out and think I'm going to try to steal them away. I hope their parents don't try to give them to me - I may not be able to deal with 24/7 kids. At least not yet.

    Anyway. enough rambling. Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com