October 9, 2008

The One with the [not so] Secret Recipe

Yesterday at this time I was in the middle of pulling fresh chocolate chip cookies from the oven.  mmm.  There wasn't much of a reason for this particular baking frenzy...other than I was just really craving chocolate chip cookies.  I have tried out a variety of recipes for this timeless cookie.  (It amazes me how many alternatives there are.)  Well, I believe I have finally decided what the absolute BEST ever chocolate chip cookie recipe is.  After they were sufficiently cooled I decided Kevin definitely deserved to partake of the delightful bites during his extremely long day at school (9am-8:45pm).  Around 4pm I drove to campus and dropped off a good amount of cookies for him and for those I knew he would be working with.  Apparently they all agreed that these cookies were fantastic.  Kevin said they were the BEST "ccc" he had ever tasted.  (And he's normally not that direct when referring to foods.)  

Now that I have your tastebuds perked up, I thought I'd go ahead and share the secret.  (You must credit this recipe to a woman named Marcia--the wife of one of my dad's coworkers--who became famous for these cookies.)  

[The Perfect] Chocolate Chip Cookies 

Cream together:
2/3 C softened margarine
2/3 C Crisco shortening
2 eggs
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla (I added 2 tsp.)

Then add (I stirred in by hand):
3-4 C flour (I added ~3 1/2 C)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
 
Stir in one bag of chocolate chips

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes (Do NOT overbake.  They will not look done in the oven.)  
Yields: 4 dozen (using a 1 1/2 Tbsp scoop)


1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com