October 7, 2009

The One with the Scrubbing Bubbles

As previously mentioned, I love fall.
It's my favorite season and my favorite form of weather.
I'm not much of a summer gal.
I prefer "warm" to "hot."
I love bundling up.
And snuggling in bed under layers and layers of blankets.
But.
I also like having the option to wear something other than long underwear and sweatshirts every day.
I like to took cute and "put together."
But our house simply does not allow for anything less than layers.
The windows are quite drafty.
And given the 2000 sq ft with full basement it's easy to waste heat.
Most of the footage is wide open--unable to be closed off.
I plan on hibernating this winter in our office/den.
Which is where we spend most of our time anyways.
Especially since we moved the ellipse and that outdoor loveseat down stairs.
And brought two comfy lounge chairs up.
I plan on finding a great space heater and keeping this room nice and cozy.
And unfortunately keeping the rest of the house at near freezing temperatures.
This is a problem for guests.
Boo water heaters.
I wish we had a wood burner like our neighbors.
Even their floors are warm.
Mmm.

But I still love fall.
And winter.

In past news, I had to take care of a gross bathroom situation.
I clean weekly.
I wipe down the shower walls daily.
But our shower curtain is a bit too long for the ultra short shower we have.
And I don't wash the tub itself unless necessary.
Which is normally when I notice it's getting moldy and grimy.
Which is just not cool.
Sure enough, that's what I found last Friday.
Well, that, and a moldy shower curtain.
So I had to do an extra load of laundry.

I don't mind doing laundry at all.
I do, however, mind spending the money to do a load of laundry.
The water.
The electric.
The heat.
Boo, utilities.
So I try to keep my laundry day limited to Monday.
And we normally have one load.
And I plan on enjoying this small amount of laundry while it lasts.
I realize it definitely won't be this way forever.
Assuming it's not just the two of us forever.
Two if I'm doing those items that are bulky and don't need (or don't get) washed as often.
Sweatshirts.
Bed sheets.
Bath math.
Yes, I admit it.
I only wash towels once a week.
And sheets once a month. Or so.
And the bath mat is white so I can't throw that in with our one load if it has brown towels in it.
So the bath mat only gets washed every other week or so when I have to do two separate loads and divide colors.

Yes, I know some of you are cringing.
"What?! She doesn't separate her loads by colors?"
"Didn't her mother teach her anything?"
Why yes, she did.
And she's probably the one who's appalled right now.
But I've learned that using cold water keeps colors from running.
And after 4 years of using quarters for dorm laundering I had to learn to compromise and combine.
"Wait?! She goes a week before washing bath towels?!
How gross is that?!
Imagine what must be growing on those moist towels by that point."
Yes, I realize this isn't optimal.
And I feel a little guilty because my poor husband has a heightened olfactory system and can smell mustiness from a mile away.
I can stick my face in the towel and not even notice, unless I'm checking on purpose.
And even then, if it does need washed it must wait until Monday.
That's just the way it is.
But when I spotted the mold that was that.
It needed washed then and there.

I'm ashamed.
And embarrassed.
But apparently not enough to hold back such confessions.

What about you?
Do you have certain cleaning projects that get pushed back on the "to do" list?
No?
Yeah, I didn't think so.

6 comments:

  1. Um, that's more often that we change towels :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know. :D My family didn't wash our often at all...every couple weeks or so. Kevin's family washes them every day. So we kind of met in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the laundry. I haven't stopped doing laundry in weeks. Cloth diapers will do that to you.

    The only laundry sorting I do is "ours" and "the boys" unless there's something bright red. We wash towels once a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Jen... I was impressed when you said you washed your bath towels once a week and even more impressed when you said you washed your bath mat that often as well!

    I put up the pumpkin bread recipe specifically for you :D If you try it out let me know how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still put all the other spices in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah - we barely even do laundry - I'd say you're crazy for doing it as often as you do!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com