June 19, 2009

The One with the Strawberries

Listening to God's prodding reaps positive results. Funny how that works. It's like St. Ignatius of Loyola said, "Sin is unwillingness to trust that what God wants is our deepest happiness." David Benner adds to that, "Until I am absolutely convinced of this I will do everything I can to keep my hands on the controls of my life, because I think I know better than God what I need for my fulfillment." We human beings are lame. Why on earth we think we know what's best for our lives, I'll never know. Personally, I battle illogical thoughts which are rooted not so much in the belief that I know what's best, but rather that God does not have sovereign control which will guide me into the deepest happiness I could ever know. Why do I worry? Why do I question? Why do I fear?

"Be still, and know that I am God."

I was so blessed this week as I reconnected with the church--which just so happens to be Christ's body on earth. For the first time in months, Kevin and I went to prayer meeting. I was nervous. Afraid of what judgments might be passed on me. I had plenty of excuses for not going. And though the first few absences were well-intentioned, laziness and apathy set in and pretty soon it was nearly impossible to go back. But I did. I heard His urging and I decided to obey. We were met by surprised looks but welcoming spirits. I was missing out. Missing out on the community that is found in small groups of prayer. Openness. Belonging. Accountability. God, I am sorry. And I am so thankful.

On a slightly different note, of the church ladies called me up yesterday morning (and I must admit I'm always a bit cautious when picking up these phone calls. I never know what I'm in for!). She invited me to go strawberry picking with her. I was thrilled! I hadn't been picking since I was about 10 years old and even then it was with a church lady who took me and made jam with me all afternoon. (Yes, Cindy, I still remember!) The berries were perfect for picking and within 30 minutes I had my 10lb flat heaped with juicy fruit goodness. This picture is after putting about a pound or so in the freezer and another 1/2 pound in my mouth. :D
:::berries!:::
Today I plan to put my food processor to good use and whip up some strawberry freezer jam. We're still working through the many pints I made last summer with Kevin's mom and I must say, nothing beats homemade jam! I plan to freeze the remaining berries to keep around for smoothies--one of my favorite healthy snacks. Thank you, my darling husband, for buying me a smoothie maker for my 21st birthday. You anticipated our future quite accurately! :D

Also, I realized I hadn't yet shared a picture of my newest love, Stan the KitchenAid mixer. (Kevin has reminded me to continue using Stan's last name--KitchenAid--so that no confusion occurs. We wouldn't want people thinking my Love had been replaced!)

::Introducing the Empire Red KitchenAid Stand Mixer-Stan!::
I'm fully aware of my ridiculous-ness. In case you were concerned. Just living up to my blog name. ;)

Now off to berry myself in red goodness.


------
ps. I'm super stoked! We got my wedding rings soldered together this week! It looks wonderful and they cleaned it up to a sparkling state I couldn't remember!

1 comment:

  1. OH boy do those berries look delicious. Can't wait to try some jam, if you'll share some with us. I remember Cindy taking you berry picking, too. I'm thinking it was the summer of my mastectomy, yes?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com