January 8, 2009

The One with the Medical Issues

My current issue has to do with one of the loves in my life...FOOD!  Yes, I have had chronic stomach and intestinal problems as long as I can remember and I have never done anything about it.  I think I just figured it was the way things were gonna be and that's that.  But the last few months have brought escalated problems to point that Kevin started recommended a doctor's visit.  I didn't like that idea...especially seeing how I have to find a brand new doctor for the first time.  Well, you guessed it...I have been worn down too.  I am in the process of making the switch to an area Doctor of Internal Medicine and getting tested for Celiac disease.  It's a nasty intolerance for all things gluten (wheat, barley, rye products etc) that lasts a lifetime. (Click here for more detailed information.)  It will be a shame if this is my diagnosis seeing as I am head over heals in love with everything on the "no-no" list:  breads, crackers, cereals, pastas, cookies, cakes, pies, gravies, and sauces.  *sigh*.....*SIGH*  

I have been trying the lactose free diet since Christmas and it seemed to be helping.  For a day or two.  But the last week has been just as bad as all the months previous.  I figured I would start with a diet that caused less suffering...but...it doesn't seem to be the solution.  

Anyways...enough of that rambling.

I had lots of other fun things to say but I don't seem to remember them....or...wait...

First, I took down our Christmas decorations (sad day...) and organized all the decorations and stuff that had been accumulating in an unused bedroom.  

And second, we're going to SAU this week for two sweet reasons.  1) a basketball game that is an admissions event...free for the teens and pizza & pop provided.  and 2) Friday is Kevin's dad's birthday and we're spending the night celebrating with them.  

That's all for now.  Rachael Ray is calling my name.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you Mel! They thought I had that too. It would be a huge change, but there are restaurants that have gluten-free menu's and a whole gluten-free cookbook that has recipes for ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. But the bright side is that if this is the cause, you caught it early. Some people don't know they have a gluten allergy until there are far worse side effects. Do you know Marilyn Kilbourne? She has celiac's disease and would be an excellent resource if you find that you do, in fact, have it.

    Though, I'm praying that you don't. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com