March 30, 2012

The One with the View from the Pit

For the past 10 weeks, I have been hard at work learning the keyboard/synthesizer strings part of the full score to The Sound of Music. (Hence my absence this week--it's show week, people. LOTS of rehearsals.) I was asked to be an adult member of the high school production's pit orchestra, and it has been an unforgettable experience. The show opens TONIGHT and I couldn't be more excited. With that in mind, I thought I'd share my...
Observations from the Pit {Orchestra}

1. It takes all of my self control to keep my eyes on the conductor, NOT THE STAGE. 

2. You miss out on a lot of awesomeness when you're playing the background music for any given song or dance. 

3. Getting a "front row" seat to the action is pretty awesome though (for those few moments when we can just sit back and watch.) 

4. Listening to the vocals as you accompany them is an amazing experience. 

5. Finally coming to that moment of confidence, when you can say to yourself, "Hey, I've got this!" is invigorating. It means you can HAVE FUN playing your part.


6.  Being a part of something so much bigger that you is a really neat experience. Knowing that your music is just a layer of support--but one that is essential--is so cool. 

7. Those moments when it's ALL YOU (or no music is heard) is a *little* bit intimidating. I'd better go practice again


8. Seeing those hours and hours and hours of practice time pay off is extremely rewarding. I needed a reason to practice. 

9. I don't even mind having these songs in my head. It's just good music. The hills are alive...I am sixteen...how do you solve a problem like a Maria...Edelweiss...Do a deer...


10. Getting to know the teens better--and getting to meet their friends--and goof off together is a fantastic opportunity. 

I never would have imagined that just 8 months into our newly-transplanted Western New York lives, I would have the privilege to be an integral part of the community, the schools. I've made some great connections, met lots of new friends, expanded my musical abilities, and gained some serious confidence. 





2 comments:

  1. How fun! I've played in a few pits and really enjoyed myself! I hear you on the "aha" moment when it all comes together - there's nothing like that feeling!!

    Enjoy the performances!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do a deer? ........ I don't remember that song in the musical!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. If you want share directly with us, feel free to email kevin.melanie@gmail.com